Grant Erwin

Relz wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a good reference for restoring a South Bend 10"
lathe (book or website)? I've looked at a bunch of websites and I didn't
find anything that may have been a step-by-step guide.

http://www.dimebank.com/FrankenLathe.html to start with.

What exactly are you planning to do with it? If your restoration is cosmetic, no
problem. If the headstock spindle is bent or the bearings are shot, you have a
difficult problem.

Many techniques have been discussed exhaustively. You may find it worthwhile to
google groups on such topics as painting machinery or machinery restoration.

I don't think anyone is going to write you a Chilton's manual step by step. If
you plan to be a machinist, you're supposed to be able to figure this stuff out.
A South Bend lathe is a simple machine once you understand it.

Grant Erwin