User Example

The back of my 2 story house has a concrete patio. I would like to
build a roof over the patio. I am not sure how to attach the roof to
the house, though. The back of the house has the 1st floor bricked and
the 2nd floor has wood siding over the 2x4s. There are no windows in
the way so that makes it a little easier. But what would be the best
way to attach the roof to the house so that its weight is properly
supported?

Codes vary from area to area but a general answer for a shed roof (that is a
single incline from the house to the yard) would be to remove a strip or two
of the wood siding then bolt a ledger board to the existing sill or stud
wall. Use joist hangers nailed to the ledger board and support the yard side
with a header and posts of correct size.

That's sort of what I had in mind. I'm just wondering if the wall made
of 2x4's is strong enough to bolt the side of a roof to that has rafters
made of 2x6's.