Jon Weaver

Default How soon can I tile a new concrete floor?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message .net...
Once the plastic has gone on, the builder is coming back to lay approx
80mm of screed onto of the concrete that he laid a month ago.

Is there any insulation in this floor? There should be large chunks of
Jablite or similar going down, as well as the plastic sheet (DPM). Although
not compulsory in many conservatories, it should still be done for your own
comfort.

There is going to be a DPM, but I must admit, I don't think that the
builder will be putting any insulation down! How thick would a layer
of Jablite be? Its not too late for me to get some myself and insist
on it being put under the screed.

Where would the insulation layer go, ontop, or under the DPM?

Basically, you should wait the recommended time scales. How does the phrase
go? Bodge in haste, repent as leisure. Or something like that. ;-)

I think that you are right.. However, I spoke to the 'tiler' who lives
opposite, and he said "nahh.. I have been tiling for 20 years and I
always lay straight onto the concrete.. As long as you give it a few
days to set, you will be fine".. This is the same attitude as my
builder who is doing the floor work for me. However, this is directly
against the advice that I seem to be getting from EVERYONE, including
the supplier of my tiles and manufacturer of the 'adhesive' (Dunlop)
who quotes 6 weeks for concrete and 3 weeks for screed!

Its amazing what 'tradesmen' get up to, and people questioned why I
wanted to keep an eye on my builder, to make sure he did things
correctly!

As always, a huge thanks for your advice

Jon