Grunff

Default Alternative materials for kitchen worktop?

David McNeish wrote:

Looking in the Google archives for advice, it seems that laminated
chipboard worktops are a Bad Idea for that style of sink, because of the
ease of water getting into the chipboard.

Fair enough.

And even if we replaced the
sink with one which is mounted from above the worktop, from past
experience I have doubts about how long the worktop would last before
getting damaged elsewhere.

About 20 years is a reasonable timescale with sensible use.

Other materials I've looked at are Corian (expensive), and marble (only
slightly less expensive). And we don't want another solid wood worktop.

Are there any other solutions, priced somewhere between the cheap-and-
nasty and the how-bloody-much options?

Tiled is an option, but not my choice. IME laminate worktops are the
best solution. They are extremely tough and hard-wearing, a lot more
scratch resistant that most of the alternatives, and very reasonably
priced. Buy good quality laminate worktops - pay around £100-£150 for a
4m length.

--
Grunff