Andrew

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
oups.com...

If you can get a trestle set up for two to work on, removing a Velux
sash is a doddle. They unclip and lift up and of their hinge. Take it
off and have a look what you can do with it. Then, first thing next
day, take it to wherever for a refurb.

Can you expand on how to unclip the hinge? What aspect should the
window be in to do this? Can it then be slide directly through the
aperture, or will it be necessary to tilt it slightly obliquely? I'm
guessing the window unit will be about 15-20kg - it's the size and
weight of the window which is making me approach the task with
caution.

You can take it off by yourself if you are competent. Also you can take
it off from on the roof if you have roof ladders.

As it will be the first time I've done anything with a roof window, I guess
competency is a difficult thing to gauge. Presumably if I end up standing
around with a large hole in my roof and a mess of glass and wood on the
ground 5 storeys below me I will realise I am not as competent as I
thought I was...

How long have you had the Velux?

I don't know - the window is about 10-15 years old from what I can make out.

regards,
Andrew