Lew Hodgett

"Dooler" wrote:

I am wanting to build a workbench, but am unsure how to handle the
slope/unevenness in my garage. Do I make one leg longer than another?
Doing this would make it unlevel if I ever move. The legs/body is
going to be from hard maple and design is based off the how-to bench
from DIY network's show woodworking.

Any thoughts or ideas?

If I were faced with that problem, I'd build the bench with all legs the
same length/

Then cut 4 extra pieces of leg material, say 12"-18" long.

Put the bench in place and then using a small hydraulic jack and some
shim packs made from say 1/4" plywood, (The shim pack can be say 2"x6"),
level the bench.

When you have the bench totally level. then clamp a 12"-18" piece to
each leg so that it touches the floor and clamp in place with some C-Clamps.

Wait about 2 weeks, recheck bench for level. If level, bolt leg and
piece together with some 3/8 bolts and large fender washers, then remove
clamp.

SFWIW, ever wonder how they level out a 20 ton boat when they put it in
a cradle or a house when they move it?

Same way.

Lew