Bill

Default connecting water supply to new dishwasher

Hello. I'm trying to connect a flexible hose to a new Maytag dishwasher.
One end of the hose is connected to the hot water supply and the other end
is connected to one end of a 90 degree elbow. The other end of the elbow
connects to the dishwasher water input connection.

I can connect the hose to the hot water supply and to the elbow. The
problem is connecting the elbow to the dishwasher. There's about 0.5" of
(male) threading on the elbow and about the same amount of (female)
threading on the dishwasher connection.

I can turn the elbow into the dishwasher connection for about two
revolutions of the elbow but after that, it gets really hard to turn the
elbow any more (I'll break the dishwasher connection if I try to turn it any
more). Two turns means the elbow threading is only about 0.25" into the
dishwasher connection threading.

Since there's 0.5" of threading on both the elbow and the dishwasher
connection, it would seem I should be able to turn the elbow further into
the dishwasher connection threading. And with the elbow only 0.25" into the
dishwasher connection, I'm afraid of water leaking there.

I thought that possibly the threading on the elbow was screwed up so I
bought another one (they cost $3) but got the same result. I then thought
that maybe the threading on the dishwasher was screwed up so I went to Home
Depot where we got it. I explained the situation to the HD person and asked
if I could try to turn the elbow I brought with me on one of the Maytag
dishwashers there.

They let me do that but I got the same result. The two HD sales people
didn't know the answer. They referred me to a place that sells parts to
dishwashers but I couldn't get any answers there.

I called a few appliance repair places and left a message at each one. One
guy called me back and said something about a compression
something-or-other. He had an accent and was hard to understand him.

Does anybody know the answer to this? I emailed Maytag a few hours ago but
don't expect to hear back until tomorrow (and I don't have a lot of
confidence I'll get a satisfactory answer). I called customer service but
that did no good.

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Bill