Pop

What you are calling a transfer switch is a transfer
panel that contains a number of transfer switches.
I don't make that distinction to split hairs but
rather to point out that a transfer switch is simpler
to operate and provides more flexibility in which
loads you can run. A transfer panel offers better
control but less flexibility in load selection.

=== Your comments are correct of course, but what a
person sees when he approaches mine is "Transfer
Switch" on the label. In many parlance it's common to
call a "box" of something by the singular form; thus I
suppose a "box" of transfer switches is "a" transfer
switch.
Google for "tansfer switch" and you won't get the
individual 3-position (or 2 position) switches, you'll
get a bunch of sites calling a "box" of transfer
switches a transfer switch, singular. It just makes
sense and is logical.
I have a feeling we're on opposite sides of the
high\low voltage equation?

One can go as far as they wish with definitions, but
it's generally best to go with what is "common" or
"perceived" usages. If someone asks you what a
transfer switch is, you're probably going to continue
describing dtdt, dptt, tptt and so on, but it would
have served no purpose to the post, IMO. But I
would describe it as a box with a set of switches to
isolate your generator from the mains lines. Which is
by far more accurate than trying to describe one of the
internal switches, in view of the current usage.

So, I'm at a loss as to just what the heck you are
trying to communicate in your post. Were you adding
to, subtracting from, or otherwise trying to
correct/revise something I said? You did address it
specifically to me, so it has to be my post your are
referring to.
If so, come out and say it. I'm not aware that I
gave any bad advice to the posters, so if there's
something wrong, be specific.

I don't bite :-)

Pop