rh455

John, in doing some research I found that the biggest fear of most is
that the main breaker may fail while in the off position thus still
allowing power flow as if it were still on. I suppose that this cenario
is still possible with an interlock kit. Is this right?

Pop, I don't have either switch at the moment, but don't I have to do
both of the steps you listed regardless of which switch I get? With a
cutoff, I go outside, throw the cutoff and lock it down. Then connect
the generator and turn on the circuits that I want. With a transfer
switch, I have to turn the main switch on the transfer switch from
utility to generator, connect the generator and select the circuits
that I want to run. Did I miss something? Aren't I doing the same steps
regardless of what switch I choose?

Another problem I'm facing is that the breaker box in my house is in a
confined area, barely wider than the box itself. I won't have any place
in the immediate area to install the transfer switch. From all ads I've
seen, the harness is only about 2'. The wall that the breaker box backs
up to is the breakfast area, so Wifey won't be thrilled about that. Any
ideas?

--
rh455
rh455's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=29