Pop

"John Grabowski" wrote in
message ...
I think that these interlock kits utilize the existing
main breaker and one
new 2 pole circuit breaker for the generator input.
The two pole generator
circuit breaker will need to be located just below
the main breaker in the
existing electrical panel. This insures that when
the panel main is closed
the genny main is open. Shutting off the panel main
will allow the genny
main to be turned on which in turn blocks the panel
main from being flipped
back on.

"rh455" wrote in
message

Excellent info John. I looked high and low and
couldn't find an
interlock kit on CH's website. It looks like just a
lockout plate and
decals in the kit. Isn't there two breakers in an
interlock kit? One
for the utility power and one for the genny? If I do
the interlock kit,
will I need another 30amp 240 breaker and wire it to
another plug box to
connect the generator to?

--
rh455
rh455's Profile:

The way mine works is, you remove the branch wire from
the breaker and connect to the box, which goes to the
Common of a dpdt switch. The NC of that switch goes to
the regular breaker, so normally everything works as
before. The NO goes to the generator. Flip the switch
and power come from the generator instead of the power
company.
Thus, there is no possible way to ever switch the
generator output to the power company wiring. Barring
severe damage, it's foolproof.
I have 12 ckts on mine; that's plenty to run
everything I might need in an emergency situation. Oh,
it's also got an overcurrent breaker in case too muich
power's drawn, as does the generator also. Nothing
but breakers, so it's a pretty simple design. There's
also a current meter for each leg of the incoming split
phase power so you can see how balanced the thing is on
your generator.
It's convenient for testing periodically too, since
you just flip on the switches you need to create your
load. It's not even necessary to touch the main
breaker. Transfer switches make lots of sense. The
more expensive ones will even start the generator for
you, and switch everything over, automatically. But I
ain't that rich & don't mind flipping a switch &
pushing a button to start the generator.

Pop