Pop

I can't take this anymore; gotta speak up.

A Transfer Switch, properly installed, automatically
disconnects the wired ckts from the mains, meter,
incoming power, whatever you want to call it, all in
ONE motion, and gives thos ckts to the generator ONLY.

A cutoff switch, though functional enough, is ANOTHER
added action in order to isolate the generator from the
power coming in. First you have to throw the cutoff
switch, then hook up your generator - at LEAST two
steps, easily forgotten/mixed up in an emergency.
With a transfer switch, you can monitor the power
being used with the meter, how much is on which leg,
and even control what can or can't run.
With a cutoff switch, after you get the generator
hooked up and running, then you have to be sure you
turn off several breakers, or go around and make sure
"extra" things aren't running.
With a transfer switch, using it assures you
disconnected from the incoming power by virtue of its
design. A cutoff switch just disconnects the whole
house and that's all.
With a transfer switch, you can still know when
power comes back. Not so with a cutoff switch.

Some codes still require a cutoff switch regardless of
whether you use a transfer switch or not, because they
predate transfer switches for residences.
Yes, I have a transfer switch. Yes, I used it
during the Ice Storm on '98, for 5 days, in fact. No,
I'm not required to have a cutoff switch. My
installation was inspected and passed with flying
colors.
Best to check on local codes.

Just my two cents

Pop

"rh455" wrote in
message ...

I wouldn't be energizing the entire house, only
select circuits to get
by. I'm debating the options of transfer switch or a
master cutoff
switch which would cut power off before the meter.
I'd know for certain
that the utility power is off before I could
backfeed. I'm not committed
to either option at the moment, I'm researching
before I decide. My
power comes out of the ground up to about 5' to the
meter. The power
exits the meter from behind(into the wall) and into a
perpendicular
interior wall about 5' to the breaker box. The
breaker box is confined
in a narrow spot.(Not much room for a transfer
switch). My neighbor's
house has a meter with a master cutoff box next to it
with a lever on
it. The power exits the cutoff switch from behind to
his breaker box.
To me, that's a positive way to cutoff power from the
pole. I have
nothing between the meter and the breaker box but the
main breaker. I'm
not opposed to a transfer switch, it's just that it
would be difficult
in my situation.

C & M Wrote:
Knowing nothing I'll add my two pence from that
standpoint. I
consulted
with a licensed and well experienced electrician.
He installed a
transfer
switch wich was $500 and his labor, another $400 as
I recall and it
works on
the alloted circuits as proven by a two day outage
last year. It seems
me that when you choose to energize the entire house
on a small
generator
you could overload it accidentally. And, as I said,
since I don't
know
anything about electricity I assume that this could
cause a
catastrophic
accident. No ones life is worth a savings of any
amount of money.

"

--
rh455