C & M

Knowing nothing I'll add my two pence from that standpoint. I consulted
with a licensed and well experienced electrician. He installed a transfer
switch wich was $500 and his labor, another $400 as I recall and it works on
the alloted circuits as proven by a two day outage last year. It seems to
me that when you choose to energize the entire house on a small generator
you could overload it accidentally. And, as I said, since I don't know
anything about electricity I assume that this could cause a catastrophic
accident. No ones life is worth a savings of any amount of money.

"rh455" wrote in message

I recently bought a Coleman Powermate Genny. It's 7000 watts, 8750
surge. While I'd love to backfeed my main panel for convience reasons,
I do realize it's illegal and unsafe. I'm considering a double pole 200
amp cutoff switch before the meter. (The main line is buried, comes up
to the meter and exits behind the meter to the main panel inside the
house). The main panel is a Cutler-Hammer 200 amp box. I don't see
where an interlock switch(at the main breaker) is available for my box.
Would a double pole cutoff switch make it safe to backfeed? I have a
120/240 30amp plug on the genny and already have an existing 50amp
socket on the wall for my compressor. Can I backfeed the 30amp line
thru the 50amp socket?
If backfeeding can't be accomplished, I'd consider a manual transfer
switch if I could find the right switch for my application. Most are up
to 7500 watts but I don't know if that will be enough with the surge
capability of my genny.

--
rh455
rh455's Profile: http://www.homeplot.com/member.php?userid=29