Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"FOM" wrote:

I had a fence installed last year. It is three sides that enclose my
backyard. Yesterday, my next door neighbor installed a fence and used
my existing fence to complete enclosing his backyard. He did not ask me
if he could do this, he just had the installers attach his fence to
ours. Now, we are paying for one third of this guy's fence. Is this
legal? What should I do?

I suspect you never asked him when you put up your fence, right? Or how he felt
about having a fence. That would have been the time to ask if they wanted to
share in some part of the cost. Me thinks you are being a bit anal. Have you
something in for your neighbor? What would you have him do, build a parallel
fence down your fence line?

Presumably you put the fenceline clearly inside your property boundary and not
right on the property line. If not, he's free to do whatever he likes with his
side of the fence, including painting, attaching, modifying, etc.

Once you put yours up, he is free to continue the fence line. If you are
concerned about the attach point, I'm sure he could put up a duplicate pole/post
right next to yours, but why?