Ed Sirett

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:05:47 -0700, v.yare wrote:

Transco are in the process of renewing the gas supply to the block of
flats I live in. At present, my gas meter is located in a cupboard
within the flat, supplied by a central pipe that travels through the
building. Transco have proposed to run a new pipe on the outside of my
3 storey block, with a pipe coming into my flat through the main
bedroom with a meter here also. THe pipe will then run the length of
the bedroom to join the existing pipe in the cupboard to supply the
appliances. I am concerned about having a meter in my bedroom as my
existing cupboard/meter combo always smells strongly of gas. Are there
any regulations of safety guidance regarding the location of gas
meters?

I would appreciate any advice/guidance on this matter.

There should never be a smell of gas from any gas appliance indoors.
If there is, then there is a problem. Call 0800 111 999 and get them out
to fix it. If you are very unlucky the leak is on your pipework and they
will simply turn the gas off and tell you to get someone to fix the leak
in your cupboard. However there is a very good chance that the leak is on
there meter or their pipe work.

It may well be that the leak is very small nevertheless any smell of gas
indoors is a problem, if for no other reason than it may mask a bigger
more serious leak later on which no one takes any notice of.

If the new meter has remote reading then apart from the pipework (route no
doubt chosen to minimise their work), there is really no problem.