Ophelia

Default Concrete slab advice

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Mills" wrote:

John wrote

(1) Not only is it very grotty by now, but it has sunk by about

3.5cm,...

Is it still moving? [You can tell by accurately measuring the gap a

number
of times over (say) a 6-month period.] Has it sunk uniformly?

Yes, I guess it is. I suppose it has sunk about 2.5cm in the 16 years
we've been in the house.

If it is not moving, and is level but just too low, I would be tempted
simply to lay some decorative slabs on top of the concrete to make up

the
level. Might even look nicer! It will be a lot easier and cheaper than
starting from scratch - and you won't have lost all that much if it

fails.

Good idea, but I'm [now!] aware of the advice proffered by BigWallop,
which was that adding more on top will just make it heavier and cause it
to sink faster!

I might grit my teeth and get some quotes for having this replaced, and
also re-doing the drive, with which this slab connects (via another
slab).

If I were younger and less weedy (I'm a "slim 55 year old") I'd have
had the whole lot up by now and be hand-mixing piles of concrete! But
one of the lessons you learn on your way to 55 is that ... concrete is
very heavy!

Cheers
John

And old age doesn't come by itself either John. :-)) You also go through
the eye sight thing, the bone creaking, the hair lose and all the other

bits
and pieces. But, can someone tell me why, oh why, am I going to need such
long nose hairs now that I'm getting older. It's not as if I can comb it
over the top of my head. :-))

LOL