Don Young

Unless you have a lot of water 1/2 inch will probably be enough. The
concrete will increase the possibility of water entry simply because it will
catch and direct the water, just like a paved parking lot does as compared
to an unpaved area. I don't think you will have a problem but wanted you to
be aware of the potential.
Don Young

"Fr@nk" wrote in message

"Don Young" wrote in message
I am not sure of your situation but if you have a door at the same level

as
a weather exposed slab you will have trouble with rain water running
under
the door. Even the best of seals and a slope away from the door will not
prevent wind driven water from entering. Unless you can tolerate this you
need a step down from the door to the outside slab if at all possible. I

am
lowering a 6'x12' concrete porch because of this problem.
Don Young

Hmm. How much of a step down are you talking about? If I bring this one
down
more than a couple of inches, the outer edge of the slab will be well
below
the ground; I'd need some sort of "curb" surrounding the slab.

What I'm looking at right now would put the top of the slab just below
(1/2
inch or so) the bottom of the door threshold. Sounds like you're saying
that's too close, and that wind-driven rain could still come in under the
door.

Really, I'm mostly concerned with yard drainage/runoff coming down a slope
and "wandering" toward the basement door (which I'm controlling
effectively
with simple diverters). I mean, right now, it's just dirt outside the door
(again, coming up to within a half inch of the bottom of the door), and
I'd
like to "finish" it with a slab. If I'm not experiencing a problem with
blown-in water now (with the dirt), are you saying the addition of
concrete
would increase the possibility?

Fr@nk