Fr@nk

Default Expansion joint for 8x4 concrete walkout slab?

Hello. I'm planning to pour a small 8' x 4' (4" thick) concrete slab for a
walkout from my sliding basement door. I think I have just enough height
from the bottom of the door threshold to slope the slab away from the house
slightly. Anyway, while doing some reading about it on the quickrete.com
website, I noticed their mention of fiber "expansion joints" that are
recommended when pouring a slab that will butt up against a concrete
foundation (which IS what I'll be doing). My slab will essentially go right
up to the concrete wall foundation of my basement.

So, should I place one of these fiber strips down in my small "pit" (against
the concrete foundation), extending down from the basement door threshold,
so my newly-poured concrete doesn't bond directly to my concrete basement
wall/foundation? This would make my new slab a separate structure from the
basement wall. Is the gap that this strip would create a water seepage
concern? Is there a recommended thickness for this joint strip? Thanks.

Fr@nk