Andy W

Default Cladding for gable-end, uPVC or wood?

I have moved into a house which has a rather unusual design, it has a
gable end which is clad in lead flashing.
Over the years the lead has discoloured and become wrinkled. I would
like to clad instead with dark wood or uPVC.

My question is this: quite a few recently built houses have gables
clad with dark tongued and groove material. Is this generally wood or
uPVC?

Is dark woodgrain uPVC a bad idea re. discolouration, expansion etc?
Is hardwood a better idea? This is a South facing roof, plenty of sun.

Thanks

Andy