Bob Engelhardt

Default Question about removing spindle on Jet lathe

I have a Jet 1024 and I was turning down a back plate for a chuck, in
back gear. All of a sudden it slowed and stopped. Not a "clunk" stop,
more like the brakes being applied. I determined that the spindle
pulley is binding and I plan to remove it.

Here is an exploded parts view of the spindle, with the non-obvious
parts id'ed:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...he_spindle.jpg

I removed the outboard lock nuts and feed drive gear, and the set screw
in the retaining ring. I assume that the spindle is removed by
driving/pulling it out the inboard side. Before that:
- does the bull gear key clear the seals and bearing inner race, or do I
have to remove them? On the diagram, the spindle diameter is smaller
where the key is, but is it small enough?
- if the seals and bearing don't have to be removed, does the end plate
have to?
- there are holes on each side in the top of the spindle housing:
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhar...le_housing.jpg
that look like lube holes, but the spindle bearing are lubed from the
front (reservoir and sight glass). Could there be set screws in there
to retain the outer race? But the outer race wouldn't have to be
removed anyhow, so I guess that's moot.

Anybody know of any gotcha's?

I'd say that pulling the spindle out is better than driving it out, but
I'd have to make a puller. Is it enough better to be worth making the
puller?

Thanks,
Bob