Andy Dingley

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 23:06:47 +0100, "Iain A Gilroy"
wrote:

We have a wood burning stove, that gets incredibly hot, ithas cracked all
the plaster behind it. I want to fit some sort of heat resistant board to
the wall behind and paint it the same colour as the wall.

Can anyone suggest a good material for this purpose ?

Steel over cement fibre board, or just cement fibre board if the heat
isn't too bad. I use Viroc Versapanel. Use a steel overlay if there's a
risk of mechanical damage, as these cement boards are soft and I think
they soften further when hot.

Paint it with something heat resistant, which limits your colour
options. Any paint that tries to match the wall colour will discolour.

As a rule of thumb, woodstoves should be 30" away from walls. You can
halve this if the wall is heat resistant (i.e. steel clad) or the stove
is a double-walled box stove with convector walls.

Another trick for stoves in small spaces is to build a brick wall close
to the stove, with the bottom course honeycombed for air circulation.
This allows very close spacing, reduces radiant heat but stores heat
from a cold stove and gives some convective heat. Not a good idea for
rapid warmth, short usage or high ceilings, but it can be a useful
improvement if you want warmth overnight.