John

"Owain" wrote in message
.. .
Martin Evans wrote:
Christian McArdle wrote:
10. the quote left has a "the effects of pluming have been explained"
but they never were.
The exhaust terminal will shoot out loads of visible steam,

"shoot out" does not sound so good. It is less than 3' to a fence and
then less than 3' to my neighbours house with the fence lower than the
vent. Shooting out whilst someone is walking down the side of the
house (either on my side or my neighbours) wouldn't be good.

Isn't it water vapour, rather than steam? I think it's quite pretty,
especially on a frosty day.

Steam is actually invisible (and highly dangerous as a result).

Glow worm have recognised the plume as being a problem and make a kit to
extend the discharge upwards and away from the flue wall exit point.

I don't think - although I could be wrong - the flue gets dangerously hot.
AFAIK it's acceptable to have the flue somewhere someone walks past
provided there's a wire cage over it to prevent direct contact.

The cage is a throwback to flue terminals which got hot enough to brand you.
A cage was to stop this happening so as a result you got a criss-cross wire
pattern burnt into your flesh as a resultg
The requirement is still included in the GSIUR of course

What must be carefully positioned is the pressure relief outlet, which
shouldn't shoot out anything in normal circumstances, but will shoot out
boiling water and/or steam if Something Goes Wrong.

True