Default Above Ground Pool Collapse

Hi,

Neighbor's above ground pool collapsed inward while they filled it with
water.

Just curious if anyone has heard of the experience before. I did not
participate in the pool construction, but I did help with one, years ago.

I recall gravel on exterior of circle, but I still can't figure out from
physics perspective how the pool would concave unless there was some stress
bearing part of side-wall/top which was not secured. I do recall when doing
the liner that there were instructions about how the edge of the bottom of
the liner needed to be a certain way. I am thinking the liner edge on bottom
of pool was mis-alinged and some how applied pressure to the side, above the
bottom of the pool. A theory.

Any thoughts?

Just curious.

Thanks.