HeatMan

Three visits?

I don't do much BB, but I do know that I could add a 4 foot section of it in
a day, especially if it's accessible from below. Depending on how the
boiler is set up for purging, that could possible be the easiest part of the
job.

I'd think $325 was a bit light, but less than $500 would be a good 'not to
exceed' price.

Ever consider Radiant Floor heat for the bathroom?

"No" wrote in message ...
Ahhh, more information. Yes, IMO $325 is a bit excessive just to drain the
boiler. It may be reasonable too. Cant really tell from here. Get a few
different quotes. You may need to have the plumbers back more than once.

This plan assumes no heat during renovation.

Visit one - During demo
- Drain system
- remove existing baseboard

Visit two - During rough in
- Rough in plumbing for new baseboard

Visit three - at finish stage
- do final install of baseboard heating unit.

If you needed heat or boiler operation then the loop would need to be
temporarily reconnected or shut off from rest of system. Given its summer
where you are probably live it probably not a big deal to shut down during
the project unless your boiler also serves domestic hot water.

If you go with just new covers you need to get them from the same
manufacturer to ensure proper fit. Yours may not be able to accept new
covers though. And, given you want to tile the wall behind then the whole
unit may need to move forward a bit anyway. Really the cost here is NOT in
the baseboard materials its in the labor.

$325 for the whole job, as I described above, is a great price.

My guess, depending on location, and totally taking a stab in the dark.
Would be the entire job should cost between $1000 and $2000.

"Vince" wrote in message
Hello No:

I have contacted the local SlantFin distributor and have pricing info
for 4 foot SlantFin Fine/Line Models:

Option 1: Model Fine/Line 30RR (Rust resistant; only available
as complete unit with heating element and end caps)
$88.00

Option 2: Model FineLine 30 (with element and end caps)
$50.94

Option 3: Dummy housing
$24.52

One contractor wants to charge $325.00 to "drop the boiler". To me,
that amount seems to be excessive. However, I am not aware of how
much billing-time it shall take to do this task. I imagine that a pro
would require 1 hour to do this task. ?

Our bathroom is going to be gutted. Existing configuration is a
simple series heated water loop. The bathroom's heating element is
the first baseboard heater in the series loop.

If I go with Option 3 above, I find it difficult to understand that no
plumbing will be involved. Since the exterior wall shall be redone
with wall tiles, the existing heater's backboard piece probably shall
be destroyed in the process, etc.

With Option 3 above, how can I be certain that the existing heating
element (not a SlantFin model) will be properly positioned within the
new housing ?

Thanks for your reply.

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 12:49:31 -0400, "No" wrote:

Don't know what you will be charged or what it would cost, local
conditions
will dictate.

Did you know that you can just replace the covers? If your replacement

is
aesthetic only you may want to consider this. It often does not involve
any
plumbing depending on what you have.

"Vince" wrote in message
. ..

Hello Group:

I would like to hear about cost estimate to replace a 4 foot long
baseboard heater radiator.

Other than the material cost for the baseboard housing and heater
element, what should I expect to be charged for the labor to "drop the
boiler"? I am considering a SlantFin

This is, a new term for me that apparently means draining the boiler's
heated water loop, then installing the baseboard heater itself,
followed by labor to refill and bleed the baseboard heater water line.

Does this task involve a plumming permit? I live in Babylon on Long
Island.

Regards,
~ Vince ~