Art

You are turning it in the wrong direction. It is reversed thread.

"Al" wrote in message
sigh...new homeowner here, this should have been a simple repair job.
plastic piece broke from metal handle, allowing chain to fall into toilet.
Just replace handle, right?

Except that the plastic gasket the handle goes into will NOT turn loose
at all. Even with plyers, I cannot get it off so I can put a new one on.
(No, not the same parts,just similar, but different enough so the old
one has to come off.)

Now I have taken advice from Home Depot guy and tried to chip
it off with a hammer/screwdriver combo, even less likely to ever
unscrew it.

Any advice on how to remove a damaged plastic gasket?

Thanks in advance.