The yard does not slope a great deal, but enough to notice...maybe 6
inches every 15 feet or so? I am going to fill in the low side to make
it level with the high side -does that make sense?

I have to disturb the soil to some extent. The ground is lumps-ville.
I am in New England too, by the way.

So I should tamp it down with something after I turn the soil enough to
manipulate it. That is what I figured...I have seen those mini
steamroller things, but I thing I will end up going low tech.

It will be a brick patio. I was going to go with a ground level deck,
but the more I research, the better it seems I am with brick, espcially
at ground level.

The rocks in the soil were big enough and sticking out so that the
ground wouldn't be level with them there. Understand I am not digging
very deep here - only enough to uproot the grass, not much more.

What is sub grade?

Any other tips?

Thanks guys.

Bluesman