Robert Barr

Starting prep for a patio in the backyard - nothing big, maybe 10x12,
but my yard is slightly sloping and a lumpy mess.

What I have done so far is remove the grass and roots, and cleared the
area of most of the big rocks. (This turned out to be a hell of a job
-- took an afternoon of hard work with a steel rake.)

Anyway, I was thinking I still need to soften ground up to be able to
level it, so I was thinking loosen the soil, then use a 2x4 to run
across the area to level it.

Don't disturb the soil unless / until you absolutely have to.