HeatMan

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I was taught to use white teflon, and also Rectorseal. The teflon allows

the
threads to slip tighter, and the Rectorseal does the acutal sealing.

--

Uh-huh.

You're a dumba** too...

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"DanG" wrote in message

Teflon is Teflon. Apparently some manufacturers offer a heavier
tape. It may or may not be less subject to shredding. It has
always been important to keep the tape back off the lead threads.
I know a few plumbers that do both Teflon (white, by the way) and
pipe dope on the larger size pipe - 1 1/2" and up. When I asked
why I got the belt and suspenders type answer.

Do not take something apart that is functioning.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"Steven L Umbach" wrote in
message ...
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe
to reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on
the fittings for a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some
info on the internet that you should not use white Teflon tape on
gas fittings - only yellow. Apparently there is a risk [don't
know how great] that the white tape can damage the gas regulator
or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am wondering if I
should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that
just leaving well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in
the basement next to the furnace right next to a floor drain. Any
advice appreciated. --- Steve