Robert Allison

Steven L Umbach wrote:
I replaced my water heater yesterday and used a flexible gas pipe to
reconnect natural gas to it. I used my white Teflon tape on the fittings for
a seal and all appears well. Then I noticed some info on the internet that
you should not use white Teflon tape on gas fittings - only yellow.
Apparently there is a risk [don't know how great] that the white tape can
damage the gas regulator or such due to bits of it shredding off. Now I am
wondering if I should change it or just leave it. My thinking is that
removing/reinstalling the fittings may introduce more risk that just leaving
well enough alone? The gas heater is installed in the basement next to the
furnace right next to a floor drain. Any advice appreciated. --- Steve

If the flex pipe has a flared fitting on both ends (and it
should if it is for gas), then there is no need to use
anything on the threads. The actual seal is between the flare
and the bell end of the fitting.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.