Ken Moon

"Kudzu" wrote in message

SNIP---------
The one I am looking at has a 3 phase motor and I am seriously considering
just adding a VF Drive to it. Program it for say 3 fixed speeds on the
motor and using the lathes variable speed control. Does that sound
feasible? Or would it be better to just go full electronic speed control
and skip the reves drive?

All electronic is OK if you have enough horse power. Otherwise, the Reeves
drive can give you additional torque at low RPMs. If the low end is in the
500-700 RPM range now, you can go that low mechanically, then drop down to
200-300 RPM with the VFD and still not lose turning torque.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.