James Riser

The manual indicates a speed range from 630-3450. This works well for me.
Most of my turnings are done at full speed. Putting a VFD along with the
current drive would work fine. Yes, I have the manual and parts diagrams
;-)
Jim

"Kudzu" wrote in message
You told me most of what I was wondering. One thing I have not gotten a
good answer on is what is it's lowest speed? I have heard/deduced that
around 700 rpms is typical for other j-line models. So does that sound
about right? I want something slower but otherwise I like what I am
hearing about this lathe.I will be turning lots of large unbalanced blanks
so slower speeds are essential.

The one I am looking at has a 3 phase motor and I am seriously considering
just adding a VF Drive to it. Program it for say 3 fixed speeds on the
motor and using the lathes variable speed control. Does that sound
feasible? Or would it be better to just go full electronic speed control
and skip the reves drive?

Once I get it in the shop and torn apart that will really help me decide.