Morris Dovey

Cliff (in ) said:

| On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:47:34 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|
|| Whirlpool
|
| I once met their engineer that suggested replacing
| all those custom hoses, fittings, pumps, etc. on their
| washing machine models with a single set of standard
| ones. I gather that they did it.

Seems like a "no-brainer to me" - though the no-brainer solutions are
sometimes the most difficult to get approved.

One of the other no-brainers (for CPU-controlled washers) should be to
allow either hose to connect to hot and the other to the cold water
supply. The controllers monitor both temperatures and control the flow
valves independently anyway...

| To this day I wonder how they got the contract for
| the toilet(s) on the International Space Station.

Interesting - I wasn't aware they'd done that.

| BTW, They used to use ComputerVision IIRC.

Ok. My primary software tools were gcc, Visual C, and Excel (in order
of high to low quality) - No CAD/CAM needed for what I was doing. I
did notice that the mechanical engineering types had some pretty nifty
packages for designing gears 'n' stuff, though. One of the guys took
time to teach me a bit about making gear trains quiet - and that was
so fascinating I skipped lunch. (I suppose that makes both he and I
hopeless geeks :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar