Morris Dovey

Cliff (in ) said:

| On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:10:57 -0500, "Morris Dovey"
| wrote:
|
|| Cliff expostulated:
||| My impression of themis one of overpriced stuff that's
||| no better than anyone else's.
|| Their top end (like their competitors' top end) products /are/
|| highly priced. In at least Maytag's case the top end products are,
|| in fact, as good as they can make 'em. The R&D guys actually talk
|| to the production assemblers, pay attention to what they say, and
|| make product changes on the basis of their suggestions. More
|| usually (elsewhere) an assembly person has to tell a foreman who
|| might or might not tell a supervisor - and so on up the ladder
|| until there's an information "bridge" back down the chain to the
|| R&D guys.
|
| None of that would give any hint of what actually failed in the
| field and flooded out the end customer or anything similar.
| For that you'd need to know what went wrong, not just
| how to make it cheaper.

Of course. Did the paragraphs following the one you quoted make it to
your server? If not:

The Maytag link to the customer call center is disconcertingly
direct.
When I first arrived I had a "recycled" R&D phone number and got calls
from CS call center operators demanding that problems be fixed *RIGHT
NOW!* That I wasn't the person they thought they were calling didn't
seem to make any difference - nor did the fact that I wasn't even a
Maytag employee. One gal told me that didn't matter and that I'd
better get up off my butt and FIND OUT who should be fixing this
problem and make 'em aware of it and have them get back to her
posthaste.

Maytag could never get away with showing a commercial of that scene
(can't admit right out loud in front of God and everybody that
someone's had a problem with our product!); but after I came out of
shock I decided it was actually pretty impressive. Again, it's
noteworthy that in all of these "hot" calls the communication was
between "indians".

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar