Arnold Walker

Your are correct on equal danger.....but that is not the way some insurance
companies see it.
When you first built up an engine it is air tested,so virtual all steam
piston engine's start life on air drive.
One problem with theme parks like Disney is that the employees were used to
IC engines.
And waste a lot of steam because they don't understand the point of a
throttle and a cutout(variable timing link in other words)
The reason ,about seven steam trains are missing from Disney World.
Both good air and good steam operation gets max. expansion for the unit of
work done.
Steam is a little tricker because of overexpansion in the right
conditions.Air usually is retarded 10 degrees behind the the setting used
for a steamengine on a given load.
Look around and we will find at least one historical steam train running in
virtually every state.....Texas has three,Colorado has two,and so on.
One irony about your steamtrain remark....is that in the Golden Era of steam
the major number of the locomotives in operation were industrial not
commerical service.
In my hometown in East Texas during that time period....there were seven
railroad lines running thru town. Missouri and Southern Pacific had two
lines with Southern Pacific furnishing all contract rail and locomotive
maintenance service.And the rest of the lines were sawmill trains hauling
timber out of the woods.
Many quarries,mines,and shipyards had trains for do-it-yourself short line
work in other parts of the country.
"Juergen Hannappel" wrote in message
Me writes:

In article ,
"Arnold Walker" wrote:

Many steamtrains are now ran on air due to boiler code worrys by

insurance
companies.

CFR (Call for Reference) on the above. as I believe it to be
Bull****....

I think so too, especially because even without the water an old
boiler pressurized with air is also no small danger.

the only Steampowered Trains still in existance,
and in commercial service are in third and fouth world countries,

There *might* be some stored steam engines still running, typically in
chemistry or power plants where steam is available anyway and can be
filled into the engine easily.

Phone: +49 228 73 2447 FAX ... 7869
Physikalisches Institut der Uni Bonn Nussallee 12, D-53115 Bonn, Germany
CERN: Phone: +412276 76461 Fax: ..77930 Bat. 892-R-A13 CH-1211 Geneve 23