Cliff

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 06:59:33 -0400, JohnM wrote:

Cliff wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 15:14:16 -0500, Scott Willing
wrote:

The argument is that posts get separated from their threads for a
multitude of reasons

Only quote the specific bits that you are responding directly to.
You need the context but not the rest.

I seem to remember you snipping my posts in order to alter the context..

John

John,
I don't think so (but it's possible). Sometimes, with a few
others, I only reply to a slight snippet (see jb & Gunner & crew)
with a sharp poke G.

For most the subject (or a specific subset of it), not the
author, is the subject (whoops .. a tautology?)

Usually I quote the specific bit I'm responding to (for the
proper context). I like SHORT, easy-on-the-reader posts,
little forced scrolling to find the context, and brevity, usually.

Some of the others like huge essays .... but I find that a
few well placed words usually do most of the time.
One may also usually assume that the reader recently read the
prior full post that the reply is in response to.
--
Cliff