John P Bengi

LOL. well said but trolls never listen. They just become more hostile and
more trolly.

"George Ghio" wrote in message

wmbjk wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 18:41:15 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

wmbjk wrote:

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 00:54:27 +1000, George Ghio
wrote:

I've lived in, and worked out of, an actual solar/wind powered home
and workshop for nearly ten years. Both have the amenities that most
people consider "normal", and together they require about 50 gallons
of backup fuel per year. A respected regular in the energy newsgroups
has publicly affirmed my descriptions of our place after visiting
here. The only fiction is from a bitter old Aussie fart who doesn't
like having to admit that his own so-called "solar powered" home in
fact gets the majority of its power from burning fuel that must be
hauled in, a situation he apparently hopes to ameliorate by
criticizing anyone who's done better.

Wayne

You can't get anything right can you. First, I am an American. Born and
raised in San Diego.

Second, I can and have outlined my energy use for for all resources.

The assumptions you make are the fiction. You do not know what your
system does. You copied a design and when it failed to work you doubled
the solar and wind input.

Ok Wayne, we will try again.

I have on several occasions posted my entire energy use. Accounting for
every fuel and source of energy, laid out by the day, week, month and

year.

Apparently you believe that "accounting" for energy production is
somehow better than actually producing energy. Let's see how that
works - 1kWhr is about enough to power a contractor grade table for 40
minutes. Or it might power a homeowner-grade MIG welder for 20
minutes. Still, that level of production might be sufficient for a
putterer, except that in your case, you'd still need a five times
larger inverter, and would then have to run the generator to power the
house, having exhausted the day's production in but minutes of shop
use.

Being able to account for energy use is simply the result of knowing
what you are doing.

A "putterer" is one who claims he can use a MIG welder in both
directions. Please note Wayne that the direction to run a MIG torch is
in the direction of the gas flow. A MIG torch is not, as you seem to
think, a hot melt glue gun.

A "putterer" does not hold a ticket for "Unlimited Thickness Structuial
Steel" So what's your ticket.

My work shop use has no effect on the house system as there is no
connection between them.

My fuel use is, Petrol, 20 L per fortnight(14 days) This runs the Gen
set of course, also the tractor, motorcycle and chainsaw.

Yes I use wood and propane in the house. So what?

So, yes I can account for my entire energy use.

Is this important? Yes.

Why?

Because if you dont know what is going in or what is going out you don't
know what your system is doing. Which is really just not knowing what
you are doing.

I am able to do so because I: 1) designed my system to meet my needs,
and 2) monitor my system.

Doing without, and getting the bulk of your energy from fuel that must
be bought and hauled, isn't anything to be proud of for someone who
claims to be a professional. I can't count the number of amateurs I
know who've done better.

OTOH you have failed to be able to define your two days of autonomy (at
the also nondisclosed reduced level of use) let alone what your energy
use is for everything.

As I've said many times, I will *never* write anything you demand.

Tell the truth Wayne, you can't post what you don't know.

The truth is that no one in their right mind would or indeed should take
advice from a person who can not define some thing as simple as days of
autonomy.

I've answered hundreds of emails from folks who are considering making
the move to off-grid, and are curious to hear how that's worked out
from someone who's already done it. The fact that I won't play along
here under the pretense that you're an expert probably won't have much
affect on their level of interest one way or another.

God help them.

You have no idea, have never had an idea, will never have an idea what
your system uses or produces. Let alone define your entire energy use
for all applications.

My setup provides virtually all the energy to power a "normally"
equipped home. *That* is the part I find useful, not diddling with
spreadsheets to "prove" something to a quack.

Yet you claim tens years experiance.

I *have* ten years experience. You've read from a respected regular
that nothing is misrepresented. Your habit of denying the undeniable
has made you a laughing stock.

So you claim.

Nothing is represented.

Which is just
half as long as I have been off grid.

Living off a propane and generator based system with a tiny solar
supplement for all those years is only proof that you're satisfied to
do something poorly for much longer than most. Living in a hot climate
while claiming to be a master fabricator, yet failing after 20 years
to build a simple solar water heating system is pathetic. Even so, no
one would bother to call you on that feebleness except for the fact
that you repeatedly indulge in gratuitous insults.

Ah well, you see I do have a simple solar hot water system. What I do
not have yet is the parbolic system.

Hence the warning about your advice. The warning stands as valid.

What "stands" is your boneheaded insistence on making a fool of
yourself.

Now, do you have *anything* to say about off-grid workshops? No, I
didn't think so.

Off grid workshops, as I have said already, are as indivdual as the
people who use them. Asking for advice, which can only be generic at
best, is fine but in the end the workshop must meet your needs, not
Wayne's needs or George's needs.

My most commonly used tool is a drill. I use battery drills with leads
because they are readily avaliable. I have six at the moment. With an
eighteen A/hour gell cell and two battery drills I can install a 5kW
system on site in two days.

As most of my solar work is on site what good would a huge solar power
system at home do me. Can't drag that around with me can I?

As for my welder, why build a system big enough to run it for perhaps
five hours a month.

The reason I have the generator is because I bought it to build the
house. It is still serviceable and portable.

No Wayne your nonsense is just that. Nonsense.

You and I both run what we need to run.

The difference is that I do it by design and know what goes in and out.
I know I have five days autonomy at my daily load

You built a system then doubled the solar and wind to make it work and
still don't know why. You think you have two days autonomy at some airy
fairy reduced load.

The warning about your advice still stands as valid.