F. George McDuffee

snip
If this were an event that affected only a few players, I would
be selling tickets. Unfortunately, this almost entirely affects
only the average person with roots in their community and many
years invested in learning a trade.

==========
Hmm. I'm not sure how you've reached your conclusion; but my own
opinion (formed by direct observation) is that it's unlikely that the
Chinese will value the current Maytag employees less than the old
management. The major differences, I suspect, will be that outsourced
operations will be relocated from Germany and Mexico to the Pacific
Rim.

===================
To put it another way -- If you are going Vegas or Atlantic City,
it is expected that you will use your own money to gamble. If
you use the company's money and are discovered you go to jail.
Even if you win, the winnings belong to the company and not to
you [common law master/servant rule] .

The way it is now, individuals are making high stakes bets, and
keeping the winnings if they win and making other people eat the
losses if the lose.

If I sell you a machine that I don't own and keep the money for
myself and get caught, I will be put in jail and the legal owner
can recover the machine. Why is it any different with a
corporation? What will the individual managers of Maytag lose by
this move after they have run the company into the ground? How
many collected bonuses over the last few years? How much will the
US taxpayers have to pony up for the pensions?