Adam

John wrote in
:

Tom

Yep, very easy to draw some funny stats or even very misleading stats
if all you have is the raw injury numbers and no real idea of the
number of man hours associated with the injuries OR the total number
of installed tablesaws vs RA saws

Also, the frequency of use of the various saw types would be of major
interest

From the RAW numbers, it is impossible to even guess as to what saw
type is the most dangerous without knowing the numbers related to the
incidence of use. Obviously if RA saws are used only approx 4% of the
time compared to the overall saw use numbers, then RA saws are average
in injury rate - However, if RA saws account for (as reported) approx
4% of the injuries but are used only 2%of the time, their injury rate
is 2x the average; and so on and so on

For example, I probably use my RA saw less than 10% of my total saw
use; table saw probably gets 80%of my total saw use, and about 10% for
my bandsaw - but those numbers can vary depending on the project I am
doing. If I am doing lots of half laps, then I may be using the RA
with dado blade a much larger percentage of the total useage compared
to cutting plywood panels for cabinet carcasses/etc

John

I wonder if they are including the cheapo benchtop saws that many
carpenters carry around in their trucks? On the jobsites I'm at I have
to close my eyes when the trim carpenters are using these things to rip
mouldings etc. as they say "an accident waiting to happen".

As to injuries with a miter saw, well it's embarrassing to admit but
when I was younger (& just a little dumber) I figured I could do a
freehand compound miter with the trusty delta 8" non compound miter saw.
Needless to say the piece of 2' long piece of 3/4" select red oak went
flying and stuck in the drywall about a foot away from a beautiful new
Pella french door that was at least fourteen feet away. After I was able
to open and close my hand I went back to make some more cuts and noticed
something funny, the steel bed of the miter saw was twisted by about a
quarter of an inch. Lesson learned in a big way & I've been alot more
respectful of power tools since then.

Just an amateurs thoughts / ramblings

Adam