SQLit

"Ken Moiarty" wrote in message
news:v%kre.1667366$8l.1605819@pd7tw1no...
I'm trying to decide whether to go with inexpensive pressure-treated
evergreen wood decking or low cost 1" thick (approx.), radius edge, cedar
(which is must less expensive than standard patio grade cedar decking). I
kind of prefer the cedar option, but I'm unsure about whether it's wise to
go with cedar that is only half the thickness (hence, half the strength)

as
standard patio grade cedar. My concern is not about safety per se so much
as it is about structural rigidity, solidness, etc. I don't want it to

feel
like I'm 'bouncing on planks' when walking on the deck. Any suggestions,
advice, experiences? Thanks...

Ken

You asked....

Cedar is a splintery wood. Try that on the SO and or small humans. I have
a friend that has to stain his redwood deck every year to keep it looking
nice. He says forget about the 4-10 year stain guarantees in Phoenix.
If I was to look into a exterior deck I would look at the reclaimed wood and
plastic lumber being sold now. Once installed you should have 10-20 years
of no maintenance. http://www.trex.com/products/whatistrex.asp?

I like not doing outside maintenance when at all possible.

I have never seen a raised deck with "1 inch" material. Since I weight more
than 250 lbs I am not into taking a step and getting that springy feeling.
I guess if you increased the stringers, ( structure below the "1 inch"
material it would be ok. Except for the yearly maintenance.

The reclaimed stuff is NOT cheaper.