Andy Hill

"Ima Googler" wrote:
We are installing a chain link fence and I'm wondering whats the best
method to prevent weeds from growing along the fence row. I realize
we could use the weed trimmer each time we mow, but there has to be an
easier way.

Is there anything to keep the weeds down so that we can just use the
mower as close as we can get? I've done some research and some people
have suggested vinegar, boiling water and things like that.

How about the salt people use in the winter for icy patches? I know it
kills vegetation almost permanently. Could I put that down in a strip
under my fence?

I've seen Comerica setups where there is a narrow strip of concrete along the
fenceline. Fairly spendy, I'm sure, but you can mow right up to the edge.

Boiling water, etc. will kill on contact, but they'll grow back in a few weeks.
Roundup will kill for a bit longer, but usually has to be reapplied every year
or so. A soil sterilant (like Triox) will be a bit more persistent, but you're
still looking at every couple of years.

Really nasty stuff (salt, motor oil) will last a bit longer, but they tend to
"creep", giving you patchy areas away from the fence.