Andy Dingley

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:38:34 +0100, (Alan J. Wylie)
wrote:

Given the comments about toxic preservatives in other replies to this
question, does anyone have any comments on the furniture at
http://www.jarabosky.co.uk/ ?

It's plug ugly, made from nasty wood ?

I admit I've made some of this stuff myself, but I don't _like_ this
"timber brutalist" styling - even as bar fitting or lofts. We're so
divorced from decent timber these days that we've forgotten what good
furniture looks like. A bit of plasticy veneer from Ikea passes as
"wood" and the horror that is "naughty pine" gets passed off as an
antique. Then we see recycled outdoor timbers pretending to be quality
cabinetry, sealed under a layer of sprayed lacquer to keep the smell and
the oils in. I make _timber_framing_ that's more like cabinetry than
this stuff. Get yourself to bath, or somewhere else with decent
galleries full of 18th century work, and take a look at real
craftsmanship in the best of materials.

(and yes, I've looked _very_ closely at Jarabosky's work in Camden)

Are sleepers imported from tropical countries made from high quality
hardwoods,

As a general rule, UK sleepers are Australian Jarrah and were creosoted.
Some are Rhodesian timbers. Anything older than that is probably
pre-Beeching and you aren't going to find them now.

treated with nothing more unpleasant that creosote?

Creosote is pretty unpleasant. I cycle past a BT pole depot and on a
good Summer's day I can start smelling it about 1/4 mile away.