HeyBub

I'm planning to build a porch awning (roof) over an existing patio,
and have been looking at salvaged lumber for the structure. It's way
oversized stuff by modern standards -- 6x6s and 6x8s. I live near
Philadelphia where, unfortunately, someone is always taking down a
200- or 300-year old building.

I mentioned this to the builder I might use and he has really been
talking the whole idea of using old wood. He said wood gets
compressed over time so, if a piece has been used horizontally, it
might not hold if it's used vertically -- as a post, for instance.
Then, he mentioned "all the work" of pulling out old nails, etc. He
seemed unreasonably down on the idea.

I thought anything that wasn't rotted or split would be useable. Am I
hopelessly naive?

I still remember the toughest job I ever did. In 1970 I tore down a one-car
garage built in the '30s. The goddamn wood just would not let go of a nail!
I had to knock 2x4s apart with a 12-pound sledge!

I could have built a bank vault out of the wood used in that garage.

The wood will be fine. More than fine.