Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm planning to build a porch awning (roof) over an existing patio, and
have been looking at salvaged lumber for the structure. It's way
oversized stuff by modern standards -- 6x6s and 6x8s. I live near
Philadelphia where, unfortunately, someone is always taking down a 200-
or 300-year old building.

I mentioned this to the builder I might use and he has really been
talking the whole idea of using old wood. He said wood gets compressed
over time so, if a piece has been used horizontally, it might not hold
if it's used vertically -- as a post, for instance.
Then, he mentioned "all the work" of pulling out old nails, etc. He
seemed unreasonably down on the idea.

More work for him. Old growth lumber is generally denser, tighter spacing
on the annual rings. Yes, it will take a little more work but I think you
get better results. Chances are it must be re-sawn, sanded or planed. A
metal detector is good to find those nails.