Default Recycled lumber: Is it safe?

I'm planning to build a porch awning (roof) over an existing patio, and
have been looking at salvaged lumber for the structure. It's way
oversized stuff by modern standards -- 6x6s and 6x8s. I live near
Philadelphia where, unfortunately, someone is always taking down a 200-
or 300-year old building.

I mentioned this to the builder I might use and he has really been
talking the whole idea of using old wood. He said wood gets compressed
over time so, if a piece has been used horizontally, it might not hold
if it's used vertically -- as a post, for instance.
Then, he mentioned "all the work" of pulling out old nails, etc. He
seemed unreasonably down on the idea.

I thought anything that wasn't rotted or split would be useable. Am I
hopelessly naive?

Mark