Joseph Meehan

I have changed others in my house, but not this one, so don't think it
is soldered. No others have been soldered. I think it is just tight
and old. Luckily it is right outsid of my garage, so the lead pipe is
not too difficult to access if there are signs of a leak. I have
drywall there, but it isn't finished.

Isn't there some type of chemical I can use to loosen the tension?

WD-40 (not the best but easy to find) may help, heat may help, really
opening it up for access so you can get a really big wrench on the pipe, and
have someone on the other end is likely to be the best choice. Be ready to
do some additional repair work as they don't always come apart easily.
Sometimes it is just easier to cut it off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit