DL

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
DL wrote:
We would like to have several (3-4) chimes activated from a single
doorbell button. What would the best way to do this.

The searches I have done talk about a more powerful transformer, but
no specific wiring instructions.

Do you mean you want to have several locations inside you home that
chime when the existing door bell is pressed, or do you want to have
several buttons at the door that can ring different chimes?

Assuming you want to ring several chimes from one button there are two
approaches. One is to provide several conventional chimes where you want
them and then using a transformer rated high enough to meet the power
requirements for all the chimes added together and you will need some
heavier wires (or a relay) to the switch. This is likely to be the most
trouble free system, although you may find your self replacing that button
a little more often than normal.

The other solution is high tech. The new wireless or X-10 systems will
allow you a lot more flexibility but more complexity. Try :

http://www.smarthome.com/index.html

for one source. Many of the same products will be available locally.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Joseph,

I want to be able to have one button ring multiple chimes, one in the foyer,
one in the basement family room, one in my workshop, one at the back of the
house in our kitchen area.

I hadn't thought about the X-10 option, so I will look into that. Had
considered it for video though.

I will try the parallel wiring the other posters suggested first, and then
look into an X-10 solution.

Thanks,

David