Waldo

G Henslee wrote:
Pop wrote:

"G Henslee" wrote in message

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The roof space of our 30-yr-old house is continuous. I.e., there is
no wall at all between the part above the garage and the part above
the living area.

Is that a Code violation? Should we think about constructing a
fireproof/fire-resistant barrier in the roof?

Perce

To provide a one-hour fire resistive seperation between the garage
and the dwelling, install drywall (5/8" type X) on the dividing wall
between the garage and house on the garage side extending up to the
roof sheathing, or drywall that same wall up and out on the ceiling
of the garage. Tape the joints.

Btw, openings between the garage and dwelling shall be provided with
a 1-3/8" solid wood or metal clad door installed with a self-closing
device. Openings in one-hour resistive ceilings are permitted if
protected by a UL listed fire door.

top posting corrected

Careful, this thread has gone into areas of techincally
correct but unnecessary "requirements" in more than one
post. Best thing to do is get the answer from the
horse's mouth, and begin at the local Code Enforcement
Office. Some things will be grandfathered, some won't,
sometimes IF you work on it you have to upgrade and
maybe something else, or if you sell it then ... and on
and on and on, and I forgot the Homeowner's Insurance
get involved, too if it's not to code. Only your CEO
will know for sure or at least have access to be able
to know for sure.

Pop

Pop,

What do you think the "local Code Enforcement Office" uses to administer
and enforce the codes 'locally'? To mention a few, ever heard of the
Uniform Building Code, International Building Code, International
Residential Code?

Among others, I've got all of those code books sitting on my desk for
referral. They *are* the horses mouth and are all or in part adopted by
governmental agencys/building departments/code enforcement departments
nationwide with regards to building codes and their enforcement of them.

When it comes to the "requirements and technicalities" regarding
housing, zoning, or public nuisance codes, as an ICBO, IBC, and CCEO
certified building, zoning, and code enforcement inspector I believe I
can give it from the horses mouth.

OTH if all I had to offer for advice was "maybe this or maybe that and
call your local inspector" then I would really have nothing to offer
here and I wouldn't.

Pop's statement was on the money. Different jurisdictions
can, and often will, alter the requirements of any national
code to suit their perceived needs. Your comment about a
layer of 5/8" type X would not meet the requirement for a
one hour fire separation if I recall correctly. I believe
that at least two layers of 5/8" type X is required to meet
the one hour separation. I spent 33 years in the fire
fighting and fire protection field and I don't recall one
layer meeting that requirement. I could be wrong,...it's
been a few years, and if I am, I apologize.

Waldo