Pop

Careful, this thread has gone into areas of techincally
correct but unnecessary "requirements" in more than one
post. Best thing to do is get the answer from the
horse's mouth, and begin at the local Code Enforcement
Office. Some things will be grandfathered, some won't,
sometimes IF you work on it you have to upgrade and
maybe something else, or if you sell it then ... and on
and on and on, and I forgot the Homeowner's Insurance
get involved, too if it's not to code. Only your CEO
will know for sure or at least have access to be able
to know for sure.

Pop

"G Henslee" wrote in message
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
The roof space of our 30-yr-old house is continuous.
I.e., there is no wall at all between the part above
the garage and the part above the living area.

Is that a Code violation? Should we think about
constructing a fireproof/fire-resistant barrier in
the roof?

Perce

To provide a one-hour fire resistive seperation
between the garage and the dwelling, install drywall
(5/8" type X) on the dividing wall between the garage
and house on the garage side extending up to the roof
sheathing, or drywall that same wall up and out on
the ceiling of the garage. Tape the joints.

Btw, openings between the garage and dwelling shall
be provided with a 1-3/8" solid wood or metal clad
door installed with a self-closing device. Openings
in one-hour resistive ceilings are permitted if
protected by a UL listed fire door.