HerHusband

MC,

I would like to tile my utility room where I keep a lot of junk,
storage and heavy racks. I will need to move all my stuff to one side
of the room, tile the other side, grout it, wait for it to cure, then
move everything (racks, boxes and other things) to that side, then
tile the other side.
How long do I need to wait after I tiled one side before I can move
heavy things on top of the new tiles so I can do the other side?

The thinset you use under the tile should be set within 24 hours. It would
be strong enough to walk on and set lighter objects on, but I wouldn't want
to try dragging a fridge or heavy racks across the newly laid tile for AT
LEAST 72 hours. (Like concrete, thinset gets harder as it cures). I'd give
it more time if I could.

The grout should also cure at least 24 hours before you walk on it.

I think most tile/grout sealers recommend the grout cure at least 72 hours
before applying the sealer. Check the label to see what the manufacturer
recommends.

As for moving things from side to side and trying to work around them, I've
tried that before when doing drywall work. I wouldn't recommend it. If at
all possible, move the stuff to another room or out to a garage. You'll
appreciate not having to work around everything.

Anthony