Hzatph

The gravel will disappear into the ground unless you provide some form of
sub-base for it. You will not achieve much this way in my opinion.
"Glenn" wrote in message
Hello all,

We have a long term renovation project in the French alps, vehicular
access
is via a 30 metre long grass covered "drive way" which slopes gently
upwards
to a height of about 1 metre over the length of the drive. In anything
other
than dry weather, car access is entertaining to say the least. The local
council has a dump of gravel not far from us, and it seems to me that one
night we could easily "acquire" enough gravel to lay two lengths of gravel
to aid vehicular access. My question is, should we dig out two parallel
and
shallow "ditches" to take the gravel (and if so, how deep should they
be?),
or just lay the gravel straight on to the grass and bed it in by driving a
car over it?

Many thanks,

Glenn