Lurch

Default Lights dimming

On Thu, 6 May 2004 16:58:54 +0100, in uk.d-i-y "Can2002"
can2002@nospammailDOTnet strung together this:

Following a tip from Ian last night I measure the drop in voltage when
switching on a higher power device.

Prior to running an electric shower I was seeing 247 volts (it fluctuates
quite a lot up to 248V). With the shower on it dropped to 234V. This
seemed like quite a large drop, does anyone agree?

I'm not dure of the rating of the shower, so I repeadted the test with a
2.4KW fan heater. This time the voltage dropped from 247V to 240V.

I'm going to give the electricity board a call, but would welcome any
feedback.

Problem is, although it's quite a fluctuation it's still within the
limits so they won't be overly bothered. Worth a shot though.
I still don't know what type of supply you have, what size it is and
how old it is but if it's an oldish overhead then what you're seeing
is the norm. The only way to solve it is run in a new 100A underground
supply but that could be costly. Even then it depends on how far from
the substaion you are.
--

SJW
A.C.S. Ltd.